27 June 2012

The Wimbledon Queue

Posted By Happy Homemaker UK


I wanted to attempt one of England's summer traditions,
The Wimbledon Queue




But hearing stories of 3 hour waits and people camping out,
I had been feeling a bit nervous

Then tipped off by a few friends,
I learned the key is to arrive later

And so I did




We arrived at the queue at 4:30p
and gained entrance by 5:15p
(ticket prices drop to £14 at 5p)
Not bad :)

My husband arrived at the queue by 6:30p
and encountered no line at all


Court 18: Elena Baltacha v Karin Knapp
Baltacha won and will represent Team GB in the Summer Olympics


Once inside we headed up the hill
to buy tickets for 1st Court
(Centre Court queue was too long)

And were sure to buy a cup of strawberries & cream
(a Wimbledon tradition)


1st Court:  Jamie Baker v Andy Roddick
Rain delay - will finish tomorrow


The day was cut short by rain
but we were thrilled to have experienced 
one of England's oldest tennis traditions

And I had one happy tennis-loving son :)

- all photos by me -

*Anyone can apply for tickets in December via the lottery. Some tickets go on sale the day before via Ticketmaster. The queue is for tickets that are handed in and resold by Wimbledon the same day; the queue is also for anyone who wants to feel like they earned the tickets and wants a story to go with it :)  Everything inside the club (and queue tickets) is cash only.

Read previous post on Wimbledon Tour

19 comments:

GirlSprout said...

My Aunt who lives in London mentioned the lottery to me, but not the queue. She has lots of black and white photos that she took at what looks like Centre Court of Wimbledon champions of yore: Billy Jean King, Jimmy Connors, Chris Evert.

Jenny said...

Oh, I so want to try this. I applied for the lottery with no luck and was put off by the idea of camping out for tickets on the day. But you've given me hope that it just might be possible! Thanks for the tip. xx

Barbara said...

What a great experience. This is on my bucket list, so I hope to take your tips into account next year!

louise said...

Glad to hear you had a good time. The WImbledon experience is so quintessentially English - as is cheering on the great British hope who always goes out in the quarter finals!

Jane said...

Just fascinating, Laura. Good for you. Down here in Australia we have to content ourselves with sitting up into the wee small hours in front of the telly to see the play! J x

Joyce said...

One of my most fun memories of our time in England was sitting on the lawn at Wimbledon with our strawberries and cream. My girls got Serena Williams autograph and it was a gorgeous day weather wise. Such a fun day!

Robyn said...

how brill. never been-always wanted to. my friends in london used to have players stay with them (lower ranked players obviously) but I always thought that it was cool.

i like myself a bit of A. Roddick!

miss b said...

It's a wonderful tradition - and the strawberries and cream are all part of it! What a pity about the weather though.
http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

Me said...

I am soooooooooooo jealous - sounds like you had a great time !!!! Definitely on my list of things to do !
Have a great day and enjoy the tennis on the TV !
Me

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

I remember doing it that way many many years ago, but more recently while still living in the Uk we used to apply for tickets via a ballot and most years were generally lucky either via the public one or the one at our local tennis club. It is well worth going for the atmosphere alone.

Down by the sea said...

I went to Wimbledon on a school trip in the late 1970's and they had long queues even then! It is definitely worth experiencing. What a shame it was cut short by rain, but I surprise that's part of the tradition too!
Sarah x

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

How wonderful - isn't it fun! so glad you were able to experience Wimbledon. I used to go about a hundred years ago when I was on the tennis team at school!
Mary x

erinrichardson said...

I've always wanted to go to Wimbledon - but was put off due to the queues & distance for me to travel. Thank you for sharing your experience. Maybe next year, I'll find a friend to venture there with (hold my hand lol).

Victoria said...

wimbeldon,how fun!!!

what a great blog you have!

thanks for stopping by mine :)

Older Mum said...

What a lovely blog you have here. Loved the photos in this post. Would love to go to Wimbledon one year. Thank you for leaving a comment on my latest post. I'm now following you too! :o)

Gesci said...

Hi, Laura! It's nice to "meet" you- I've just responded to your comment on my blog, and received your auto-reply- which is clever! Thanks for stopping by, and I'm enjoying exploring your blog!

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

I went to Wimbledon on Monday, we camped out from Sunday midday onwards just to get our court no.2 tickets! but it was worth it because we got to see Mardy Fish play and I waved my American flag for him! Glad you enjoyed some strawberries and cream...you can't go to Wimbledon and not try some!

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra said...

What a great experience to go to Wimbledon!! I have never done that. I shall be watching the finals tomorrow and hoping that Scottish Andy Murray will win ... it's been about 74 years since there's been a British Wimbledon winner! I know that Federer is hard to beat... but maybe it's time for him to let the others win and live off his millions now?! However I know how competitive these sports people are... it must be hard to let go of the glory (and the millions)!
I deleted my first comment because I got my sentences in a twist and it sounded a little disconnected!
Have a great weekend!